Posts Tagged St. Michaels

St. Michaels Museum to open new exhibit, offer walking tours throughout summer

St. Michaels Museum

The St. Michaels Museum will open a new exhibit in June and is offering walking tours on Saturdays through Oct. 26.

ST. MICHAELS — St. Michaels Museum will open a new exhibit in June about historic St. Mary’s Square.

St. Mary’s Square has a long history covering 240 years. It was the center of a 1778 town plan put together by James Braddock during the American Revolution.

Braddock’s plan featured the square surrounded by 20 lots, a market house and two gates, north and south. It was the center of the early town, and featured over the years Sadis Chapel, the early St Luke’s Church and several schools (public and private).

Today, it is the location of St Michaels Museum.

In addition to the new exhibit, the museum offers docent-led walking tours on Saturdays through Oct. 26. Walking tours of the town start at 10 a.m., and cost $10 for adults and $5 for children 6 to 17. Private tours are available for $50. Other days and times can be arranged by calling Kate Fones at 410-745-4323.

“Frederick Douglass, as a Slave, in St. Michaels 1833-36” is offered on the first and third Saturdays of each month.

This is a 90-minute walking tour giving a view of the early life of St. Michaels’ most famous 19th century resident and the most important African-American abolitionist of the Civil War era.

“Historic St. Michaels: Its People, Places and Happenings” is offered on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month.

This 90-minute walking tour highlights St. Michaels during the 19th century. Stories will be told by viewing many restored structures from that era and describing life of famous and typical residents of these times, including Douglass.

The St. Michaels Museum is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.

More information is available at www.stmichaelsmuseum.org.

, ,

Leave a comment

Star Democrat: “Union United Methodist celebrates legacy of Frederick Douglass” (August 20, 2018)

On Sunday, August 20, 2018 Morgan State Professor and Eastern Shoreman Douglassonian Dale Glenwood Green addressed the congregation and visitors of Union United Methodist Church, a pillar in the African-American community of St. Michaels, Maryland since 1852.

With an uplifting message combining personal and local history, examples and testimonials of faith and Biblical verse Professor Green acknowledged the extensive network of his current family, which includes members of the Douglass Family and Bailey Tribe, and his ancestors which include Bishop Alexander Wayman and Reverend Samuel Green.

Thank you to Star Democrat for their continued thorough coverage of Frederick Douglass celebrations and recognition across Talbot County and the entire Shore.

Nice to meet and speak with Kayla Rivas yesterday. Hope to continue to speak with reporters of the Shore’s paper of record. Many years from now historians and family members will review these articles with assurance the Shore uplifted the legacy and heritage of its native son with the assistance of duty-bound information ministers such as Professor Green.

JM


 


SOURCE:

Union United Methodist celebrates legacy of Frederick Douglass,” Star Democrat, Monday, August 20, 2018. Front page, story p. 2. by Kayla Rivas.

, , , , , ,

Leave a comment

Eastern Shoreman Douglassonian Prof. Dale Green addresses Union United Methodist Church in St. Michaels [Sunday, August 19, 2018 @ 3:30pm]

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text


Located in the heart of St. Michaels, Maryland, Union United Methodist Church was founded in 1852 and is a member of the Peninsula-Delaware Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.

For more than 160 years this historic church has served the African-American  community and the Bay Hundred area of Talbot County.

Union United Methodist Church
201 Railroad Avenue
St Michaels, MD 21663

, , ,

Leave a comment

Old Anacostia Douglassonian John Muller coming to Talbot County (St. Michaels Museum & Talbot County Free Library)

JHM _ meeting 8.6.2018.jpg

, ,

Leave a comment

Thank you to The Seymours of St. Michaels, Maryland for uplifting local history and Douglassonianism

The Seymours, legends in the study and promotion of local history, were kind enough to welcome myself, Honorable Tarence Bailey and Mrs. Kate Fones of the St. Michaels Museum to their home to discuss all matters of Douglassonianism and the Shore.

Image may contain: 4 people, including Tarence Bailey, people smiling, people standing, outdoor and nature

L-R: Tarence Bailey, Mr. Seymour, Kate Fones, Mrs. Seymour

Mr. George A. Seymour is the author of a local guide to Douglass (Bailey) sites in and around St. Michaels. Additionally, word on the street is the young man in his early 90s was a leading force for having Route 33 renamed for Dr. Frederick (Bailey) Douglass.

Mr. Seymour is not just a St. Michaels Douglassonian, he is a radical Douglassonian in the spirit of Dickson J. Preston.

Thank you for all the work you have done to uplift history and generosity in sharing it with the public.

Image may contain: 4 people, including Tarence Bailey and John Yahya H Muller, people smiling, people standing, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

L-R: Tarence Bailey, Kate Fones, Mrs. Seymour, John Muller

, , , , , , ,

Leave a comment

Eastern Shore Douglassoniana: “Marshal Douglass’ Old Master Dead” [Evening Star, February 11, 1880]

Image may contain: outdoor

Former slaver of the Baileys buried in St. Michaels, Maryland. (Talbot County) Photo: Tarence Bailey & William Alston-El

MARSHALL DOUGLASS’ OLD MASTER DEAD. –

The Baltimore American this morning says: – Captain Thomas Auld, so well known as once the owner of Hon. Frederick Douglass – once an Eastern Shore slave boy, now Marshal of the District of Columbia, one of the finest public orators in the United States – died on Sunday last at the residence of his son-in-law, John C. Harper, esq., near St. Michael’s, Talbot county.

Captain Auld was 85 years of age, and had been almost helpless for a long time before he died. He was at one time a merchant in St. Michael’s, was a member of the M.E. Church, was a most excellent man in all the relations of life, and was a kind and indulgent master, when he owned slaves, freeing them all at the early age of 31 years.

In the year 1839, after young Douglass ran away from his slave plantation, Captain Auld received a letter from a gentleman in Canada, asking if he would sell his freedom papers, and offering a liberal sum of money for them. He did not reply to the letter, saying that Douglass would have been free in a few years had he not run away, and now that he has gone, he could stay.

After the passage of the fugitive slave law in 1850, he transferred his supposed right in Douglass to his brother, Mr. Hugh Auld, in Baltimore, who disposed of it to Douglass himself, who was thus relieved of all apprehensions of arrest.

SOURCE:

“Marshall Douglass’ Old Master Dead.” Evening Star, 11 February, 1880, p. 4

Editor’s Note:

There are numerous factual errors and speculations within this short news item. However, it is a valuable contemporaneous account.

, , , , ,

Leave a comment

Chautauqua 2018: Seeking Justice, with Frederick Douglass (July 9 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm, Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum; St. Michaels, Maryland)

Chautauqua 2018

This summer, join Maryland Humanities at its 24th annual Chautauqua living history series, with three performances at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. The theme of Chautauqua 2018 is “Seeking Justice.

This program also serves as part of Maryland’s bicentennial of Frederick Douglass’s birth. CBMM is proud to be a part of this year-long celebration, as we share the stories of Frederick Douglass through the Mitchell House exhibition and programming throughout the year.

Frederick Douglass, a writer, orator, and abolitionist, was one of the most important African-American activists of the nineteenth century. During the “Year of Frederick Douglass,” the bicentennial celebration of his birth, this Maryland icon will be portrayed by Bill Grimmette, a living history interpreter, storyteller, actor, and motivational speaker who has appeared as Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. DuBois, and Benjamin Banneker at Chautauquas in Maryland, Colorado, and South Carolina.

All performances will begin at 7 p.m. and will be held outdoors. Please bring a folding chair. In case of severe weather, program will be held in the Steamboat Building auditorium.

The 2018 Chautauqua Summer Series at CBMM is generously sponsored by Karen and Langley Shook, and is funded in part by a grant from the Talbot County Arts Council, with revenues provided by the Maryland State Arts Council, Talbot County, and the Towns of Easton, Oxford and St Michaels.

For more information, visit cbmm.org or call 410-745-2916. Additional information about the Chautauqua Summer Series can be found at mdhumanities.org.

, , ,

Leave a comment

Tarence Bailey, Sr. accepts proclamation from Saint Michaels, Maryland town commission to honor Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Commission

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoorA founder in his childhood of Grahams Alley Douglassonians out of Easton, Maryland in Talbot County, Maryland, Tarence Bailey (US Army, Ret.) accepting a proclamation from the town commission of St. Michaels, Maryland.

Taking a brief travel through Old Easton I must share there’s a feeling in the air similar to Old Anacostia.

Hope we can bring closer connection between the two respective communities of indigenous Douglassonians in coming months and throughout 2018.

, ,

Leave a comment

Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Events in Talbot County, Maryland – January & February 2018

FD 200 - Talbot County, MDThe Frederick Douglass Honor Society in partnership with the Talbot County Office of Tourism, have convened a committee of over 35 community organizations and churches to plan for a yearlong schedule of events to celebrate and honor the 200th birthday of Frederick Douglass and to highlight for our community and especially young people, his legacy, values and inspirational messages that is still resilient today.

 

January 2018

9th

Talbot County Council and the Town of Easton proclamation to declare the Year 2018 “Honor Frederick Douglass – An American Hero and Our Native Son.”

18th

National Historic Preservation Alliance will sponsor Living History Interpreter

Bill Grimmette at Waugh United Methodist Church in Cambridge, Maryland

“The Honorable Mr. Douglass returns home to Tuckahoe Creek”

Free admission

February 2018

3rd         11:30-1:00 pm:

Chesapeake College

Black History Luncheon, the Chesapeake College Multicultural Advisory Committee in partnership with The Frederick Douglass Honor Society Celebrates Black History Month.

Guest speaker – Simeaka Melton, Queen Anne’s County Native and Founder, of Dear Girls Academy, Inc.

For ticket information go to: http://www.chesapeake.edu/black-history-month-2018

Historic Marker _ St. Michaels MD _ FD5th           Noon:

Talbot County Free Library – St. Michaels

Brown Bag program: “500 Years of African-American History”, using the magic carpet of original newspapers dating from the 17th through the 21st centuries, Dr. Stephen Goldman transports you through 500 Years of African-American history.  Coffee and dessert will be provided.

7th           5:30 pm:

Panel Discussion

Black History of Talbot County at Oxford Community Center sponsored by John Wesley Preservation Society and African American Museum.

10th        8 – 10 am:

Prayer Breakfast

The Milestone (Sponsored by Frederick Douglass Honor Society)

  •                 Speaker – Pastor Clarence Wayman
  •                 Master of Ceremony – Dale Green
  •                 Music provided by John Wesley Wright (Salisbury University)

10th        4 – 6 pm:

Joy Night @ Union Baptist Church (Talbot County Branch of the NAACP)

University of Maryland – Eastern Shore

Gospel Choir, Union Baptist Choir, The Covenant Choir and The Hill Choir

12th        6 pm:

  • Bill Grimmette a Frederick Douglass Re-enactor at the Academy Art Museum
    $15 Member, $12 Non-Member

14th        Noon:

Celebrate Frederick Douglass’ Birthday – Wreath Laying at Frederick Douglass Statue in front of Talbot Vounty courthouse

  • Guest Speaker – Lyndra Marshall

15th –      Noon:

Talbot County Free Library – Easton

Lunch and Learn about Frederick Douglass Bicentennial.

Coffee and dessert will be provided.

15th –      6:00 pm:

Talbot County Free Library – Easton

Come and learn about Frederick Douglass and the women in his life.

17th        10-1 pm:

Frederick Douglass Family Art Day at the Academy Art Museum

FREE (Registration suggested)

17th      10 a.m. to noon: 4 to 6 year-old children / 1 to 3 p.m.: 7 to 9 year-old children

Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum – STEAM Team class: “Digging into the Past: Happy Birthday, Frederick Douglass!”

17th       2:00 pm:

Talbot County Free Library – St. Michaels

“Putting Them on the Map:  Tracing African American Book History through GIS Technology”

Dr. Alisha Knight, Associate Professor of English and American Studies at Washington College

17th        7 – 9 pm:

Fred Morsel, Douglass re-enactor at the Historic Avalon Theatre in Easton, Maryland
Sponsored by Frederick Douglass Honor Society

23rd        3:30 pm:

Washington College Convocation – Honorary Degree given to Frederick Douglass

26th        12:00 pm -7:00 pm:

Talbot County Free Library – Easton

A day of films about people who shaped and inspired social change.  The day will conclude at 6:00 PM with a screening of Alice’s Ordinary People, a documentary about Alice Tregay, an unsung heroine of the Civil Rights Movement.

 For more information, Talbout County Free Library Winter 2018 Newsletter [PDF]

, , , ,

Leave a comment

Frederick Bailey walking tours … St. Michaels Museum at St. Mary’s Square presents historic walking tours

Dr. Dodson House in St. Michaels

Dr. Dodson House in St. Michaels

ST. MICHAELS — During its 2014 May to October season, St. Michaels Museum at St. Mary’s Square will continue to offer docent-led historic walking tours every Saturday at 10 a.m. beginning May 3.

The major tour, “Historic St. Michaels: its People, Places and Happenings,” will be offered on the first three Saturdays of each month. This tour will give highlights of St. Michaels during the 19th century, chronicling the rise and fall of the shipbuilding industry, the War of 1812 and battles of St Michaels, and the rise of the seafood industry. These stories will be told by viewing many restored structures from that era and describing life of famous and typical residents of these times, including Frederick Douglas. On the fourth Saturday, the museum’s signature tour, “Frederick Douglass, a slave, in St. Michaels 1833-36,” will give a more detailed view of the early life of St. Michaels’ most famous 19th century resident.

These Saturday tours last about 90 minutes and are available for $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6 to 17, with the fee including both the tour and museum entry fee. Detailed schedules can be found on the museum’s website, www.stmichaelsmuseum.org. Email stmichaelsmuseum@atlanticbb.net for reservations and information. Subject to docent availability, either of these tours can be offered at other times for groups of five or more. Email stmichaelsmuseum@atlanticbb.net or call 410-745-0530 for information on schedules or special group rates.

The new “Historic St. Michaels: its People, Places and Happenings” tour will begin at the museum where a diorama highlights the British attacks on St. Michaels on Aug. 10 and 24, 1813, and the impact of these battles on the St. Michaels community. This will be followed by a walk through St. Mary’s Square to Muskrat Park and then on to Navy Point. Along the way, participants will see many original and restored houses from the 1800s while learning about life in a small waterfront village and the vibrant shipbuilding and seafood industries of that era. Featured are colorful stories of many of the people and events. Highlights include the history of the layout of St. Michaels by James Braddock, the cannon involved in the battle of St. Michaels and the Cannonball House that was struck by a cannon ball that rolled down the interior stairs and frightened a woman holding her baby.

At Muskrat Park, visitors will learn of the transition of Church Cove to Muskrat Green and see replicas of the cannons from 1813. Continuing down Locust Street, they will come to “Hells Crossing,” and at the foot of Carpenter Street is the Higgins Boatyard, the oldest continuously operated boat yard in town and one of several in operation in 1812. Then comes the Dodson House site of Frederick Douglass’ 1877 return to reconcile with his former master. Following on to Navy Point, visitors get a view of St. Michaels Harbor and will hear how Honeymoon Bridge was named, how the seafood industry developed on Navy Point and more about 19th century activities in the harbor.

On the “Frederick Douglass, a slave, in St. Michaels” tour, participants can follow in the footsteps of Frederick Douglass during his teenage years in St. Michaels. Arriving as Frederick Bailey, 15, in 1833 and leaving in 1836 determined to acquire his freedom, his years in St. Michaels were critical in the development of this great man.This tour will offer an historical perspective of Douglass’ life in enslavement and his return to reconcile with his former master.

For more information, call Chip Britt 410-745-0530.

 

Source:

The Star Democrat

, , , ,

Leave a comment