Posts Tagged Campbell AME
Evening Walking Tour of the Churches of Frederick Douglass -> (Friday, August 30, 2019 – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM)
Join local reporter and historian John Muller on a special evening walk tour through Old Anacostia and Barry Farm, examining the history of the neighborhood churches Frederick Douglass regularly attended.
While Douglass’ contributions to Metropolitan AME Church in downtown Washington City are well known, from laying cornerstones that remain today to teaching Sunday school Dr. Frederick Douglass was an active supporter of Bethlehem Baptist Church on Howard Road SE and Campbell AME Church on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE in his local community.
Following a special sunset program at the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM walk the same path Frederick Douglass planned to walk to Campbell AME the evening he took his last earthly breathe.
Starting point and end point are NOT the same.
DEPARTURE : Frederick Douglass National Historic Site at 1411 W Street SE
CONCLUSION : Campbell AME Church at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Sumner Road SE in Barry Farm.*
* The tour concludes up the street from the Anacostia Metro Station.
Wear walking shoes, total travel is 1.5 miles.
Parts of the tour are not accessible for people with mobility issues. Tour is not ADA accessible.
Parking at the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site will not be accessible.
Metro: Anacostia (Green Line)
BUS: 92, V2, B2
The last public appearance Frederick Douglass never made [Evening Star, Feb. 20, 1895 “Suburban News”]
The night Frederick Douglass passed away he was scheduled to speak at a nearby church. An item in The Evening Star’s “Suburban News“ for Anacostia made note of the last public appearance Douglass never made.
“The members and friends of Campbell A.M.E. Church, Hillsdale, are celebrating the twenty-seventh anniversary of the organization of the church with appropriate services. The church is handsomely decorated. A special program has been arranged for this week. Tonight Rev. Dr. Collett, presiding elder of the Potomac district, will read a paper, and a short address will be made by Fred. Douglass. A reception will be tendered to ministers.”
According to Cultural Tourism DC’s African American Heritage Trail, Campbell African Methodist Episcopal Church at 2562 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE, was established in 1867 as Mount Zion A.M.E. Its founding was due to the overcrowding of Allen Chapel A.M.E., which today is on Alabama Avenue, formerly Hamilton Road. Campbell A.M.E moved to “a location near its present one” in 1890, according to the trail marker. From my own inspection, to the right rear of the current church there is a cornerstone which is dated from well past Douglass’ time.
In October of 1890 a ceremony of installation was held for William H. Liverpool and Miss Fannie Johnson who were inaugurated as superintendent and assistant superintendent, respectively, at the Campbell A.M.E. Sunday-school. Notable locals in attendance were folk from nearby churches, Solomon G. Brown, and Frederick Douglass, home for the moment from his duties in Haiti.